Queer-Casting the Next X-Men Movie
BY Brian Andersen
June 20 2014 8:00 AM ET
OK, so Dazzler isn’t queer. But being the premier superhero pop singer in the Marvel Universe means a strong argument can be made that she’s a gay icon. Dazzler originally debuted in 1980 as a roller-skating, catsuit-wearing rocker. She would be a fabulous addition to an X-movie set in the ’80s – the era in which X-Men: Apocalypse will reportedly take place. Ditch the skates and the disco influence and reintroduce Dazzler as a Madonna/Cyndi Lauper kind of rubber band bracelet–wearing, teased hair–sporting, fashion-trendsetting pop songstress, and you’ve got one fabulous addition to the team.
Dream Casting: Miley Cyrus
Before you scoff, hear us out. Miley has proven acting chops. She spent years playing Hannah Montana, so we know she’s not just a singer who wants to be an actress (sorry ’bout that, Madonna). Also, as crazy as her antics may be, the spotlight loves her. Who better to represent a larger-than-life mutant who can turn sound and music into multiple forms of light and lasers than the twerking sensation herself?
- WATCH: Gay Couple Assaulted at Dallas BBQ in Chelsea
- WATCH: Jon Stewart's Mic-Drop on Antigay GOP's 'Slim Chances' at White House
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- POLL: Americans Prefer Gay President to Evangelical or Tea Partier
- WATCH: Ben Carson Thinks President Can Ignore Courts on Marriage Equality
- PHOTOS: Homeless LGBT Youth Become Visible