Hot Sheet: Too Much Is Never Enough
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 23 2013 8:00 PM ET
9. BOOK: Straight People: A Spotter's Guide to the Fascinating World of Heterosexuals
Jeffery Self, the author of 50 Shades of Gay, offers another humorous parody — this time not of a best-selling novel, but along the lines of a bird-watching guide. Straight People: A Spotter's Guide to the Fascinating World of Heterosexuals gently pokes fun at the "Heterosexual Male and Female" and promises readers a hilarious dialogue. The fond examination includes questions and answers about "serious" topics such as the heterosexual habitat, feeding habits, culture, and migration patterns. In addition to being an author, Self is an actor who has appeared on Desperate Housewives, 90210, and Hot in Cleveland, and as Liz Lemon’s gay cousin on 30 Rock, so he knows comedy well. This tongue-in-cheek guide examines "the varied species and subspecies of the sexual majority" with a generous helping of wit that's bound to amuse. Among the highlights: "Ten Ways to Tell if He’s Gay or European," suggesting you look at who he follows on Twitter. “Keira Knightley? European. Kyra Sedgwick? Gay.” (Running Press, $13)
- Artist Spotlight: Roberta Marrero
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- PHOTOS: Meet the First Trans Man to Win a Gay Games Gold in Powerlifting
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Marriage Decision: 'No Need For Us to Rush'
- WATCH: Antigay Billboard Sparks Controversy in Tenn.