Jill Sobule "Kissed a Girl" First
BY Bryan Buss
May 11 2009 12:00 AM ET
Lilith Fair is coming back. Would you be game to joining
Sure, I was the first time. It was fun. It was when my album
was out and Jewel's album was out. And you could tell that we
were on the same label. They worked her [CD] more than mine and
they put her on the main stage. And my first two shows, they
would put me on the 4 o'clock stage and the tickets said 4:30,
so I'd be starting and people would be putting up chairs. [
] But it ended up being great.
How big a thrill was it to induct Neil Diamond into the
Songwriters' Hall of Fame?
Oh, my God. [
Sings in Neil Diamond rasp
] "Love on the rocks, ain't no big surpriseâ€¦" But the best
part about it was, I got to go onstage with all the people who
were the inductees. And so I was onstage singing "Kansas
City" -- Leiber and Stoller were also there -- but I was
onstage with Paul McCartney, Brian Wilson, James Brown, Bobby
Womack, and Carole King. And then I was standing up next to
James Taylor and he looks at me and he goes, "Can you
believe who we're up here with?" [
How thrilling to be onstage with all of them.
Oh, my God, it's the highlight of my life. But it was
thing: One of these things doesn't belong!
How fabulous was it working on Nickelodeon's
Oh, man. That was such a fun gig to do. I want to do it again.
It was just so great, and Sue Rose, the woman who wrote it, was
genius, and [star] Emma [Roberts] was great. It was my first
and only day job I ever had. It was the first regular paycheck.
But it was like a paycheck where every day I would just goof
off and I'd look at the script and then I'd look at the film
and I got to put whatever music I could put into it. And no one
hardly ever changed anything!
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 31 min 11 sec ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 1 hour 11 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM