A Wondrous Debut
BY Eric Henrickson
June 10 2009 11:00 PM ET
I was really glad I liked the CD, because I didn't know how I was going to respond if I didn't and you asked what I thought. I can't lie to Wonder Woman. She'd kick my butt.I've heard that people have been skeptical. I don't blame you or anybody. And it's probably one of the reasons I took as long as I did to do this CD. I didn't want to put something out that I wasn't super happy with.
One thing that's been interesting about this journey is people have said, "It seems like you just decided to do something and you did it." It's like, "Poof, there you are." It really has taken four years to pull this all back together. Everything takes attention, and you do get out what you put into it.
I don't know if you had a chance to listen to Obama's [commencement] speech from Arizona State University. He was brilliant. He talked about the journey and he talked about public service and he talked about putting the effort in. It's not about the money. It's not about the title. It's the effort that you put into it and the desire to find your passion. The secret to a happy life, I think, is giving of yourself to other people. In fact, it makes you feel so good that it's kind of addictive.
I live in Washington. I'm tired of all the fear and hate. I just can't imagine what it must feel like to live in the body of these hate shows -- Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity. I can't imagine what it must feel like because you're always in a rage and cynical and sarcastic and hateful. I don't get it.
Particularly the gay issue. The science is in. It is what it is. Why does it threaten you? It has nothing to do with you and it's none of your business anyway. I once had this conversation with this very sort of right-wing woman who was sitting there with a holier-than-thou expression: "Well, I just think it's disgusting." And I said, "Well, why did you get married?" No matter what she said, I would have said, "That's the same reason they want to get married."
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 7:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 5:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM