30 Years Young
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 01 2009 12:00 AM ET
The second half of the show dealt with the timeliest of issues for the LGBT community in Los Angeles, defeating Proposition 8, which would ban same-sex marriage in the California if voters approved it this November.
Actor George Takei and his partner Brad Altman appeared to announce their support for the Gay Men’s Chorus, and to stress the importance of defeating Proposition 8. The two plan to marry in September at the Japanese American National Museum. “What’s great about the Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles is that they’re really the voice of the LGBT community in Los Angeles,” Takei said after the concert.
Altman, added that the magnitude of the evening was illustrated by the venue itself. “The Walt Disney Concert Hall is basically LA’s version of Carnegie Hall in New York, so for a group like this to perform here is indeed an honor.”
The pair introduced Lorri Jean, the executive director of the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center, who gave a stirring speech on the importance of staying active in the fight for marriage equality.
The chorus topped off the evening with a sequence of songs celebrating the rites of marriage, performing “Anything for Him” from Kiss of the Spider Woman, “Love and Love Alone” from The Visit, and “Married” from Cabaret. Next was a tearful rendition of “We’ve Only Just Begun,” a classic Carpenter’s song that left few dry eyes in the audience and on the stage. The night capped off with a joyous song and dance to “A Brand New Day (Everybody Rejoice)” from the 1977 musical, The Wiz, and then a soft, touching encore of xxxx.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 21 min 54 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM