30 Years Young
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 01 2009 12:00 AM ET
The second half of the show dealt with the timeliest of issues for the LGBT community in Los Angeles, defeating Proposition 8, which would ban same-sex marriage in the California if voters approved it this November.
Actor George Takei and his partner Brad Altman appeared to announce their support for the Gay Men’s Chorus, and to stress the importance of defeating Proposition 8. The two plan to marry in September at the Japanese American National Museum. “What’s great about the Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles is that they’re really the voice of the LGBT community in Los Angeles,” Takei said after the concert.
Altman, added that the magnitude of the evening was illustrated by the venue itself. “The Walt Disney Concert Hall is basically LA’s version of Carnegie Hall in New York, so for a group like this to perform here is indeed an honor.”
The pair introduced Lorri Jean, the executive director of the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center, who gave a stirring speech on the importance of staying active in the fight for marriage equality.
The chorus topped off the evening with a sequence of songs celebrating the rites of marriage, performing “Anything for Him” from Kiss of the Spider Woman, “Love and Love Alone” from The Visit, and “Married” from Cabaret. Next was a tearful rendition of “We’ve Only Just Begun,” a classic Carpenter’s song that left few dry eyes in the audience and on the stage. The night capped off with a joyous song and dance to “A Brand New Day (Everybody Rejoice)” from the 1977 musical, The Wiz, and then a soft, touching encore of xxxx.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 1 hour 43 min ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 2 hours 43 min ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM