BY Advocate Contributors
December 17 2009 11:25 AM ET
Beth Ditto is sporting what is best described as the coolest bright-red bowl cut ever. Which is no surprise. The lead singer of Gossip, the funky-punk band from Portland, Ore., is known for her loud fashion, powerful voice, and plus size.
“I’ve been called a rockin’ roly-poly,” Ditto says, “I like that.”
The out singer, 28, in age and likely in size, makes for an unlikely fashionista: Ditto recently designed a plus-size clothing collection and serves as the muse for top designers like Alexander McQueen.
She’s appeared naked in NME, which also named her the coolest person in rock, and strips onstage. Ditto has been dubbed a role model for any gay girl who’s ever wanted to front a band or been told “but you have such a pretty face.”
“I consider myself an R-O-L-L model,” she laughs, in true fashion form wearing an H&M belted black dress at a SoCal show.
Gossip took the stage December 11 in San Diego as part of the W Hotels Wonderlust Live Concert Series, a partnership with Sony Music featuring performances by award-winning and emerging artists.
The punk trio — Ditto, Brace Paine, and Hannah Billie — played hits from their 2006 breakthrough album Standing in the Way of Control as well as covers like Tina Turner’s “What’s Love Got to Do With It” and Queen’s “We Are the Champions,” no doubt a testament to the band’s versatility and Ditto’s effortless bravado.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Ready and Looking: The Dilemma of a 20-Something
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer March 14 2014 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples March 14 2014 4:14 PM