BY David Michael Conner
March 24 2010 6:20 PM ET
You said you didn’t think “Love” would be your breakthrough single, but it seems like when you put yourself out there so honestly with that video and speak so honestly, that’s when the success started to return to you.
Yeah, yeah. Ron and I were actually looking at it and we were like ... wow. It’s just been amazing, and who knew? I’ve always been out, it’s always been a part of my music, but this is connected to imagery of same-gender loving, connected it to my music, connected it to who I am. What was amazing is, there were some Guyana newspapers online that posted the video, and I was reading the comments. And the comments are from the average, you know, person on the street. And I was expecting comments to be hurtful, homophobic ... but there was none of that there. People were encouraging, supportive, sending their love, saying how proud they were. And I was like, Wow, this is really amazing. And it really did affirm for me that if you take a stand and tell the truth, miracles can happen.
So what’s next for you?
I’m working on another project — 2008 was the last time I released an album full of original material, and I feel my creative spirit going, it’s time, it’s time, it’s time, it’s time! And I actually want to focus it on my sexuality. I think, after the comments I’ve read about “Love,” I think there’s a real need and desire to hear more of our stories and see more of our images. Even in the straight world, I think people are curious. There’s an interest and a curiosity about how we live. I mean, there’s one part that is very hateful, but I think there’s another big segment that is probably pretty curious about the way we live and what we believe, and I want to explore that in my next project. So we’ll see what happens ...
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 1 hour 3 min ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 1 hour 38 min ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 1 hour 38 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 1 hour 38 min ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM