Editors' Personal Madonna Moments
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 06 2012 12:25 PM ET
“Express Yourself” was endlessly fascinating and titillating for me, a lesbian coming out and of age in the late 1980’s. Back when MTV still played music videos I taped the video — that’s right, on VHS — and played it over and over until the tape got those trademark worn-out ripples. Madonna’s brazen sexuality resonated for me in a way that previously only Annie Lennox had been able to do — both women mining the liminal space of feminine and masculine energy.
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men
- In Protesting Irish Marriage Victory, Westboro Gets the Flag Wrong
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend