Nicki Minaj May Be Possessed, Says Catholic League
BY Trudy Ring
February 13 2012 3:05 PM ET
Nicki Minaj’s Grammy performance, full of Catholic imagery including the
depiction of an exorcism, means she may be demonically possessed, says an
ultraconservative Catholic activist.
Bill Donohue, president of the right-wing, antigay Catholic League, issued a press release today objecting to the number, which showcased Minaj’s new single, “Roman Holiday.” “Whether Minaj is possessed is surely an open question,” he says, “but what is not in doubt is the irresponsibility of The Recording Academy. Never would they allow an artist to insult Judaism or Islam.”
Donohue says Minaj’s arrival at Sunday night’s Grammy Awards with a man dressed as the pope “was just a prelude of what was to come” and that her performance provides evidence of the entertainment industry’s disdain for Catholicism.
“It’s bad enough that Catholics have to fight for their rights vis-à-vis a hostile administration in Washington without also having to fend off attacks in the entertainment industry,” he says. “The net effect, however, will only embolden Catholics, as well as their friends in other faith communities.”
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM