Nicki Minaj May Be Possessed, Says Catholic League
BY Trudy Ring
February 13 2012 2:05 PM ET
Nicki Minaj’s Grammy performance, full of Catholic imagery including the
depiction of an exorcism, means she may be demonically possessed, says an
ultraconservative Catholic activist.
Bill Donohue, president of the right-wing, antigay Catholic League, issued a press release today objecting to the number, which showcased Minaj’s new single, “Roman Holiday.” “Whether Minaj is possessed is surely an open question,” he says, “but what is not in doubt is the irresponsibility of The Recording Academy. Never would they allow an artist to insult Judaism or Islam.”
Donohue says Minaj’s arrival at Sunday night’s Grammy Awards with a man dressed as the pope “was just a prelude of what was to come” and that her performance provides evidence of the entertainment industry’s disdain for Catholicism.
“It’s bad enough that Catholics have to fight for their rights vis-à-vis a hostile administration in Washington without also having to fend off attacks in the entertainment industry,” he says. “The net effect, however, will only embolden Catholics, as well as their friends in other faith communities.”
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View