Snoop Says Hip Hop Is Ready For a Gay Rapper
BY Michelle Garcia
August 28 2012 11:14 AM ET
Legendary rapper Snoop Dogg (who really goes by Snoop Lion these days) said it's time that the music world had an openly gay rapper.
"People are learning how to live and get along more, and accept people for who they are and not bash them or hurt them because they're different," he said to the Associated Press.
The statement came on the heels of rising R&B star Frank Ocean, who released a blog post about the first time he fell in love with a man.
"When I was growing up, you could never do that and announce that," Snoop said. "There would be so much scrutiny and hate and negativity, and no one would step [forward] to support you because that’s what we were brainwashed and trained to know."
Darryl "D.M.C." McDaniels of Run D.M.C., added that while he is supportive of getting rid of homophobia in hip-hop, he is skeptical that the rampant support of Frank Ocean will endure. Meanwhile, Ice-T says hip-hop now has a more pop sense, which might be more of a welcoming field for gay artists.
"It would be difficult to listen to a gay gangster rapper," Ice-T said. "If you’re a gangster rapper like myself and Ice Cube ... if one of us came out and said something, that would be a big thing. That would be like, ‘Whoa! What?’"
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out 1 hour 54 min ago
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM