Elmo Is Cleared: Abuse Accuser Recants Claims
BY Michelle Garcia
November 13 2012 7:14 PM ET
The man behind Sesame Street's beloved Elmo has been cleared of accusations of engaging in a sexual relationship with an underage man, the New York Times reports. The young man has recanted claims that he was sexually involved with puppeteer Kevin Clash, who said earlier this week that he is gay, but did not have a sexual encounter with the man before he could give adult consent.
The now-24-year-old man who accused Clash released a statement Tuesday through his attorney's office. "He wants it to be known that his sexual relationship with Mr. Clash was an adult consensual relationship. He will have no further comment on the matter."
Clash took a leave of absence from Sesame Street after the accusations were made. He also released a statement Tuesday, through a spokeswoman. "I am relieved that this painful allegation has been put to rest," he said. "I will not discuss it further."
Earlier this week, TMZ reported that the accuser told Clash's employer, Sesame Street Workshop, he and Clash engaged in a relationship when the man, whose name was not revealed, was 16. Clash claims the two were adults when their relationship became sexual.
"I am a gay man," Clash said in Monday's statement. "I have never been ashamed of this or tried to hide it, but felt it was a personal and private matter. I had a relationship with the accuser. It was between two consenting adults and I am deeply saddened that he is trying to characterize it as something other than what it was. I am taking a break from Sesame Workshop to deal with this false and defamatory allegation."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM