22 Russians Who We Won't Let Vladimir Putin Forget Were LGBT
BY Christopher Harrity
August 06 2013 5:00 AM ET
Sergei Eisenstein (1898-1948)
Though he only made seven films in his career, his groundbreaking use of montage and symbolism has influenced generations of filmmakers since. He began as a stage-set designer, then director. He moved film away from a static Victorian linear narrative to a spontaneous explosion of images, utilizing radical angles and relationships in the picture frame, often so chaotic that the audience was baffled.
Eisenstein's personal life was also chaotic. He married twice in response to political pressure, but his marriages were never consummated. His unexpurgated diaries, published as Immortal Memories, are filled with accounts of his infatuations with many young men, including his assistant, Grigori Alexandrov.
Often his infatuations were with young heterosexual men whom he would mentor (as in the case of Alexandrov). His drawings, exhibited during the centenary of his birth, include many illustrations of homosexual activity.
Above: A still from Ivan the Terrible
Above: A still from The Battleship Potemkin
(Sources: IMDb, GayforToday.blogspot.com)
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married Anymore 12 min 50 sec ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 1 hour 7 min ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 1 hour 39 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 1 hour 48 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 2 hours 4 min ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 2 hours 5 min ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 2 hours 46 min ago