22 Russians Who We Won't Let Vladimir Putin Forget Were LGBT
BY Christopher Harrity
August 06 2013 6:00 AM ET
Sergei Eisenstein (1898-1948)
Though he only made seven films in his career, his groundbreaking use of montage and symbolism has influenced generations of filmmakers since. He began as a stage-set designer, then director. He moved film away from a static Victorian linear narrative to a spontaneous explosion of images, utilizing radical angles and relationships in the picture frame, often so chaotic that the audience was baffled.
Eisenstein's personal life was also chaotic. He married twice in response to political pressure, but his marriages were never consummated. His unexpurgated diaries, published as Immortal Memories, are filled with accounts of his infatuations with many young men, including his assistant, Grigori Alexandrov.
Often his infatuations were with young heterosexual men whom he would mentor (as in the case of Alexandrov). His drawings, exhibited during the centenary of his birth, include many illustrations of homosexual activity.
Above: A still from Ivan the Terrible
Above: A still from The Battleship Potemkin
(Sources: IMDb, GayforToday.blogspot.com)
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM