Caught in the Crossfire
BY Advocate Contributors
October 12 2009 10:00 PM ET
Proficient in multiple Arabic dialects, staff sergeant Carnes, now 32, served in the Army as a linguist from 1997 to 2004, including a 2000–2001 tour in Kosovo. He spent an additional two years in the Army Reserve and earned several medals, including the Bronze Star. He decided not to reenlist because of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy. Carnes is from Jefferson, Wis.
- BREAKING: Kentucky Clerk Defies Supreme Court, Denies Same-Sex Couples Marriage Licenses
- Why Are We Gay?
- 14 Ex-Ex Gays Paving the Way Forward
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- Op-ed: How The Danish Girl Helped Me Discover Myself
- WATCH: That Other Defiant Kentucky Clerk Named Davis Invokes 'Higher Power'