Kim Christy's Lost World
BY Christopher Harrity
February 12 2011 4:00 AM ET
Who is this with you in this photo?
Well, that’s me with my back to the camera. My own clothes, thank you very much. The other girl is Chrysis [Billy Schumacher, also known as International Chrysis]. She and I had met when I was about 15; she was maybe 14. I met her on Halloween night at the Tenth of Always, a bar popular with the girls. I recall that her outfit bowled me over: white go-go boots and white vinyl trench coat with boxer shorts underneath. She had the cutest little Twiggy haircut. We both pretended to be older than we were — even to each other; then we figured out we both lived in the Bronx. We both were out way later than we should have been and we both needed to figure out how to de-drag and get home. We figured it out and became friends for years. I was with her when she died in 1990. One of my dearest friends. She became quite a big deal in the New York night scene in the ’80s.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride 1 hour 34 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys 2 hours 45 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial 2 hours 5 min ago
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned 2 hours 28 min ago
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School 2 hours 31 min ago
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 5:49 PM