Kim Christy's Lost World
BY Christopher Harrity
February 12 2011 4:00 AM ET
Who is this with you in this photo?
Well, that’s me with my back to the camera. My own clothes, thank you very much. The other girl is Chrysis [Billy Schumacher, also known as International Chrysis]. She and I had met when I was about 15; she was maybe 14. I met her on Halloween night at the Tenth of Always, a bar popular with the girls. I recall that her outfit bowled me over: white go-go boots and white vinyl trench coat with boxer shorts underneath. She had the cutest little Twiggy haircut. We both pretended to be older than we were — even to each other; then we figured out we both lived in the Bronx. We both were out way later than we should have been and we both needed to figure out how to de-drag and get home. We figured it out and became friends for years. I was with her when she died in 1990. One of my dearest friends. She became quite a big deal in the New York night scene in the ’80s.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 2 hours 26 min ago
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM