Gay Photographer Reinvents the Pin-Up With Manly Men
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 08 2011 6:25 PM ET
When 26-year-old Florida photographer Rion Sabean began his latest project — a series of photographs of men in classic pin-up poses — he had no idea the reaction they'd inspire in people. Sabean's "Men-Ups" casts men in classically masculine configurations (the bearded, the burly, the blue collar) and positions them in Vargas-style poses that are usually reserved for the ultra-feminine women. The result, which he's hoping to turn into a calendar by year's end, is thought-provoking, riveting, and amusing. The Advocate talked with Sabean about his "Men-Ups."
What inspired the project?
In essence, the project was something that I knew for a long time had to happen, but I just hadn't worked out how I would achieve it. I know around the time that I did start formulating it all, that I was taking a feminist literature class that was really triggering these really great reactions with me that probably pushed my creatively even further.
How have men and women reacted to the images? Differently? What is the typical reaction?
I would say that in general the response has been pretty positive on both sides. Females tend to really enjoy the focus being taken away from them for once, while males seem to think that it's more comical. I would say the overarching reaction people cling to is that they're fun and just beautiful to look at. But then it gets murkier depending on sexual orientation, because I've noticed that a lot of older straight males that I know, that while they don't seem to dislike the works, have said "I don't get it."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Lesbian Facing Felony for Same-Sex Relationship Says Daughter's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 21 min 44 sec ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 1 hour 12 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 1 hour 55 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 2 hours 8 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 2 hours 21 min ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 2 hours 21 min ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 2 hours 23 min ago