BY Dave White
September 04 2009 6:20 AM ET
Actually I don’t know what’s gay about NASCAR except Jeff Gordon.* But someone—I forget who, maybe GLAAD, but someone in any case—does a study each year about how many gays there are on TV. And each year, apparently, we’re underrepresented.
But not from where I sit. Maybe they’re only counting the big networks? The prime-time narrative shows? Are they leaving out reality programming? Soaps? Jerry Springer and Tyra Banks? Because in a DVR world, none of those distinctions matter. For me, if the Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past is making out with a male space alien on Aqua Teen Hunger Force at 1 a.m. on the Cartoon Network, that’s all the gay I need. It counts.
I haven’t done a study obviously, but this fall it’s going to be extremely homosexualish all over the nation’s flat screens. Here’s stuff you should start looking for very soon:
Modern Family: A sitcom about three families in the same neighborhood. One of them is a gay male couple with an adopted baby. I saw an extended commercial for this one playing at a local movie theater (not sure why they do that, but whatever) and the gays look pretty typical in terms of their let’s-all-get-offended-and-take-a-stand-for-gay-pride behavior, but that might just be the pilot. Maybe they’ll mellow out after a while. Or not. Straight audiences love their gays to behave in certain dumb ways. It may just be a phase the world is going through.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM