Colman Domingo: Big Gay Showstopper
BY Brandon Voss
April 13 2010 7:00 PM ET
When did you decide to be out in your professional life?
I hired a publicist once I got cast in Passing Strange, and one of the first conversations we had was about how I wanted to handle talking about my sexuality. I said, “It’s never been an issue for me. I want to talk about my work, but if something about myself relates to my work, of course I’ll talk about it.” I don’t really talk about relationships — my private life is private — but I’m very open about who I am. When I first moved to New York, I had some colleagues who said I should be my straightest self — whatever that means — when I went into casting offices, but I didn’t want to put on an act of what I thought was heterosexual. I just wanted to be myself, and I’m very grateful because I feel like I’ve been embraced for that.
How do you feel toward closeted actors?
It’s frustrating when I see others who’ve made the decision to hide who they are. The first film I did was Around the Fire [in 1998] — this hippie movie that took place in San Francisco — with Tara Reid, Devon Sawa, and Eric Mabius from Ugly Betty. I remember Tara and Devon were like, “Oh, my God, it’s so cool that you’re out. I don’t know many people who are out.” But it didn’t seem like a choice to me. I just talked about who I was.
Please tell me you went drinking with Tara Reid.
Yes, I did have cocktails with her. Back then she was young, cute, and really enjoying being a Hollywood starlet. She’d say, “Come hang out with us, Colman!” I’d say, “No, I have to go home and learn my lines for tomorrow’s scenes.” She’d say, “Ugh, you can do that on the set. Let’s go drinking!” So we’d make the rounds. We made good use of her per diem — I’ll say that much.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Lena Dunham Is NOT Amused By Lesbian Porn Parody of Girls 6 min 9 sec ago
- Music Gay Singer-Songwriter Deals with Heartbreak 8 min 10 sec ago
- Politics Obama Nominates Lesbian Attorney for Second EEOC Term 8 min 39 sec ago
- Theater New Play Criticizes Gay Minstrel Roles 17 min 39 sec ago
- Women Shot of the Day: WildFang's Tomboy Line Channels Androgynous Icons 27 min 30 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Real Lesbians Watch and Break Down 'Lesbian' Porn 36 min 55 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again 1 hour 25 min ago