MTV Actor: It's The Right Time to Come Out
BY Lucas Grindley
April 11 2012 3:58 PM ET
MTV star Paul Iacono, 23, came out in an interview with the Village Voice in part to give young people another openly gay example of a successful actor.
"I didn't think I'd be coming out. But why not now?" he told Michael Musto. "I think it's the right time to say something."
Iacono, who starred in The Hard Times of RJ Berger as a teenager suddenly made popular by his large penis, is about to roll out another MTV series, called Kenzie's Scale. In this one, he's plays a gay character.
"The whole reason we came up with Kenzie's Scale is to give young gays characters to look up to," he told Musto. "It's great that we have Chris Colfer, but we need more characters."
Glee's Colfer, 21, is another of the few examples of young actors who are openly gay, and who also plays a gay role on television.
Iacono said his character, Cole, is one half of a straight high school sweetheart couple that moves to New York for college. Then Cole realizes he's gay and the show follows them as the duo remain friends.
The Hard Times, which ran for two seasons, also included a gay storyline when RJ discovers that Max, a popular jock and bully on the show, is secretly gay by finding him in the locker room showers making out with another guy. RJ is in love with the girl Max was dating but still promises he won't tell anyone until Max is ready to come out.
Recent Hollywood stars to come out include Matt Bomer, 34, Zachary Quinto, also 34, and Sean Maher, 36.
See more photos of Iacono on the following pages.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver 2 hours 28 min ago
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 4:14 PM