Moises Kaufman, Musicologist?
BY Robert Hilferty
March 03 2009 1:00 AM ET
Never mind. By the way, do you have a musical
I played a little piano while growing up in Venezuela.
How much research did you do for the play?
William Kinderman, the leading expert on "The Diabelli
Variations," was my mentor through all of this. I also
hobnobbed with other Beethoven scholars, and made the journey
that Katherine makes in the play. I went to Bonn, Germany
[Beethoven's hometown], and spent time with Dr. Gertrude
Ladenburger in the archives looking at his sketches.
Those sketches are legendary, graphic pictures of
perfectionism run amuck. What did you find?
I'm in love with those sketches. I've spent hours and hours
with them. Just the pictorial quality of them is beautiful.
You even have projections of them on the set throughout the
evening -- certainly a first for Broadway!
Well, they capture the emotions of Beethoven as he was
composing: Sometimes they're turbulent, sometimes very clean.
You can see what passages he labored over and what passages
came easily. It shows his compositional process. They are
another character in the play.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- A Letter to My Partners
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 17 min 27 sec ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 20 min 8 sec ago
- Women WATCH: 7 New Orphan Black Season 2 Teasers to Hold You Over! 23 min 13 sec ago
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 1 hour 53 min ago
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 1 hour 56 min ago
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 2 hours 23 min ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 2 hours 25 min ago