BY Brandon Voss
August 11 2011 12:35 PM ET
The trend of Broadway shows reopening off-Broadway continues with Jonathan Larson’s rock musical masterpiece, which resets La Bohème in the AIDS-addled East Village. Reinvigorating the show with new visuals and an age-appropriate cast — you betta work, MJ Rodriguez as Angel — original director Michael Greif cements the action in 1991 and brings realism to what was bordering on caricature. Rentheads should be over the moon.
New World Stages, open-ended.
The Pretty Trap
Cause Célèbre’s New York premiere of Tennessee Williams's one-act precursor to The Glass Menagerie shows a softer, more sober side to the late playwright. Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner’s Katharine Houghton is a delicious Amanda in this little silver slipper of a play, which focuses — without Tom’s narration and gay angst — on the Wingfield family’s welcome of the gentleman caller, who is actually single and smitten with Laura!
The Acorn Theatre, through August 21.
The Judy Show – My Life as a Sitcom
I never miss Judy Gold’s stand-up, so believe me when I say that the lesbian comedian is at her best as she looks at her life through the lens of classic sitcoms from yesteryear. Written with Gold’s gay 25 Questions for a Jewish Mother collaborator Kate Moira Ryan, this multimedia musical comedy also chronicles Gold’s quest to get her own sitcom or reality show, a great gay pitch that was criminally declined by Logo and OWN.
DR2 Theatre, through October 22.
- New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill
- Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013 5:00 AM
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists: 'We Have to Stay and Fight' December 20 2013 8:57 PM
- Marriage Equality Photo from Utah: First Gay Couple Married December 20 2013 7:40 PM
- Women LISTEN: Out Folk Duo Hannah & Maggie's Lesbian Love Letter to Mrs. Claus December 20 2013 6:46 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert December 20 2013 4:55 PM
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt December 20 2013 4:48 PM