BY Brandon Voss
August 11 2011 1:35 PM ET
If you can survive the space-invading audience participation, there’s much to enjoy in this otherworldly musical for fans of Blue Man Group and Glee’s Dalton Academy Warblers. Serving Geisha-faced realness and perfect harmonies in the guise of aliens who must refuel their spaceship with musical energy, these Israeli YouTube sensations please the crowd with a cappella medleys of more than 70 hit songs from Queen to Celine.
Westside Theatre, open-ended.
Death Takes a Holiday
How can such a spirited plot — Mr. Death poses as a Russian prince to woo a girl and weekend with a family in Italy — yield such a dull musical? Based on a 1924 play that became a 1934 film, Roundabout’s attractive, exquisitely sung production isn’t done any favors by a forgettable score from Nine’s Maury Yeston, and sexy, charismatic costars Matt Cavenaugh and Max von Essen can’t help but outshine leading man Kevin Earley.
Laura Pels Theatre, through September 4.
All New People
In this uneven comedy by Zach Braff, who seems to steal more from Scrubs than from Garden State, a group of misfits interrupt the suicide attempt of a guilt-ridden bore —The Hangover’s Justin Bartha — at a summer beach house in the dead of winter. Only The Help’s Anna Camp, a luminous blonde best known for her roles in True Blood and Mad Men, manages to rise above her tedious material as an escort with a history of scabies.
Second Stage Theatre, through August 14.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM