BY Brandon Voss
September 14 2011 12:20 PM ET
Staged throughout five stories of a church that’s transformed into a Parisian tenement, Woodshed Collective’s haunting interactive experience — reminiscent of Sleep No More — was inspired by the novel adapted into a 1976 Roman Polanski thriller about a man driven mad after renting a room vacated by a woman who jumped from her window. He and various neighbors channel the dead tenant in creepy drag before the chilling finale.
West-Park Presbyterian Church, through October 1.
The Lapsburgh Layover
From Philadelphia-based performance troupe the Berserker Residents comes a smart, silly, and endlessly inventive interactive comedy about overeager citizens in a fictional Baltic-like country who — knowing that Americans love solving murder mysteries in an hour — struggle to stage a bit of noirish dinner theater to entertain those waiting for their international flight to refuel. Beware of killer frogs and “man-lady” femme fatales!
Ars Nova, through September 24.
A welcome antidote to the cloying clowns of Cirque du Soleil, Montreal’s 7 Fingers — Les 7 Doigts de la Main, if you’re fancy — reject cheesy circus conventions to create a streetwise musical acrobatic act that’s as hip as it is hazardous. Endearing themselves to the crowd by sharing their names and personality traits, sole female Valérie Benôit-Charbonneau and six appealing studs like Philippe Normand-Jenny couldn’t be cooler.
Union Square Theatre, through January 1.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM