Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for September 2011
BY Brandon Voss
September 14 2011 12:20 PM ET
Staged throughout five stories of a church that’s transformed into a Parisian tenement, Woodshed Collective’s haunting interactive experience — reminiscent of Sleep No More — was inspired by the novel adapted into a 1976 Roman Polanski thriller about a man driven mad after renting a room vacated by a woman who jumped from her window. He and various neighbors channel the dead tenant in creepy drag before the chilling finale.
West-Park Presbyterian Church, through October 1.
The Lapsburgh Layover
From Philadelphia-based performance troupe the Berserker Residents comes a smart, silly, and endlessly inventive interactive comedy about overeager citizens in a fictional Baltic-like country who — knowing that Americans love solving murder mysteries in an hour — struggle to stage a bit of noirish dinner theater to entertain those waiting for their international flight to refuel. Beware of killer frogs and “man-lady” femme fatales!
Ars Nova, through September 24.
A welcome antidote to the cloying clowns of Cirque du Soleil, Montreal’s 7 Fingers — Les 7 Doigts de la Main, if you’re fancy — reject cheesy circus conventions to create a streetwise musical acrobatic act that’s as hip as it is hazardous. Endearing themselves to the crowd by sharing their names and personality traits, sole female Valérie Benôit-Charbonneau and six appealing studs like Philippe Normand-Jenny couldn’t be cooler.
Union Square Theatre, through January 1.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 10 min 8 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 1 hour 54 min ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 2 hours 53 min ago
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM