Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for February 2013
BY Brandon Voss
February 05 2013 9:00 AM ET
His priest thinks he’s fallen in love with a guy down at the local rink, but Brooklynite Jack Lovington — played with gusto by Patch Darragh, the unquestionably gay narrator of Roundabout’s The Glass Menagerie — is just head over wheels for roller derby in this broad and quirky 1950s-set fable by Rolin Jones. Though lousy with laughs, the script’s as rough around the edges as the motley crew of skaters, which include butch lesbians, or “girls like us.”
Atlantic Theater Company/Stage 2, through February 17.
As a biography of Dusty Springfield's life, including the performer's battles with cancer and addiction, Kirsten Holly Smith and Jonathan Vankin's tribute is passable, but what do you expect at 90 minutes? As a revue of her musical legacy — including her 1987 collaboration with Pet Shop Boys — it's an absolute thrill. Smith beautifully, passionately channels the British soulster, and Christina Sajous is a sexy showstopper as a composite of Dusty's lesbian lovers.
New World Stages, open-ended.
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- Entertainment News Sam Champion Receives Emotional Send-Off From Good Morning America 12 min 55 sec ago
- Style Model Watch: Learn How To Charm The Camera With Marc Buckner 43 min 44 sec ago
- Election Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates? 1 hour 17 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Queer Cruise Excursion? 1 hour 20 min ago
- Military Louisiana National Guard Will Extend Partner Benefits 1 hour 30 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor 1 hour 32 min ago
- Election Chris Christie Gets Heat for Backing Oklahoma's Governor 1 hour 38 min ago