Forty Under 40: Business
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 05 2009 11:00 PM ET
Betty Young | Airline executive | 39 | Hurst, Texas
Starting off in the reservations department almost 20 years ago, Betty Young climbed the corporate ladder at American Airlines' hub in Dallas, eventually finding her footing in gay and lesbian marketing. She now oversees all of American's minority-directed marketing, which includes outreach to black, female, Latino, and LGBT travelers; she was instrumental in implementing a gay-specific page on American's website -- AA.com/rainbow -- the first of its kind among airlines. The microsite has a calendar listing gay events such as cruises, charity dinners, and circuit parties, with promotion codes for booking airline tickets shown next to each event.
Young lives with her partner, who is a firefighter, and two teenage children from an earlier relationship. Central Texas is more accepting of gay families than most would think, she says. Recently she asked her daughter whether there would be resistance to a teenage friend hanging out at their house -- a gay home. Her 16-year-old said, "Mom, nobody cares you're gay! Nobody!"
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 58 min 8 sec ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 58 min 54 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 1 hour 29 min ago
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 2 hours 58 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM