Phoenix Suns CEO Tells About Loads of Job Offers, Then Quits
BY Lucas Grindley
September 09 2011 2:56 PM ET
The first openly gay senior executive of a men’s professional sports team, Phoenix Suns president and CEO Rick Welts, announced his resignation today on the heels of telling The Advocate he's been plied with job offers.
“I probably have had more job offers in the last five months than I ever have in my life from the most unexpected places, people who actually found me a more interesting candidate because of what I had chosen to do,” Welts told The Advocate earlier this week.
But the NBA executive isn't leaving the Suns for another job, he toldTheArizona Republic. Instead, Welts said he's moving to Sacramento to be closer to his partner.
Welts told the Republic that coming out helped lead to the decision to leave the Suns, which he joined as an executive in 2002.
"Leaving one of the best jobs in sports to go figure out what's next is something I never would've done a year ago or five years ago or 10 years ago," Welts said. "Personally, there is a level of confidence and that I can figure it out and the future is going to be terrific. I'm just in a different place."
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action 1 hour 27 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 2 hours 12 min ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 2 hours 13 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 2 hours 28 min ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM