Phoenix Suns CEO Tells About Loads of Job Offers, Then Quits
BY Lucas Grindley
September 09 2011 3:56 PM ET
The first openly gay senior executive of a men’s professional sports team, Phoenix Suns president and CEO Rick Welts, announced his resignation today on the heels of telling The Advocate he's been plied with job offers.
“I probably have had more job offers in the last five months than I ever have in my life from the most unexpected places, people who actually found me a more interesting candidate because of what I had chosen to do,” Welts told The Advocate earlier this week.
But the NBA executive isn't leaving the Suns for another job, he toldTheArizona Republic. Instead, Welts said he's moving to Sacramento to be closer to his partner.
Welts told the Republic that coming out helped lead to the decision to leave the Suns, which he joined as an executive in 2002.
"Leaving one of the best jobs in sports to go figure out what's next is something I never would've done a year ago or five years ago or 10 years ago," Welts said. "Personally, there is a level of confidence and that I can figure it out and the future is going to be terrific. I'm just in a different place."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel 10 of Europe's Gayest Beaches 50 min 14 sec ago
- Current Issue The South's Longer Wait for Equality 4:00 AM
- Current Issue Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You 4:00 AM
- Current Issue The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue 4:00 AM
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM