Minn. Reps Urge IRS to Assist Same-Sex Couples with Tax Issues
BY Winston Gieseke
September 19 2011 7:50 PM ET
Two U.S. reps from Minnesota are asking the IRS to provide information that assists same-sex couples in filing their federal taxes.
On Friday, Betty McCollum and Keith Ellison, along with 74 members of Congress, signed a letter urging the IRS to provide help for same-sex couples who encounter complications due to tax law inconsistencies between individual states and the federal government.
The Minnesota Independent reports that “same-sex couples who have legal relationships in at least 15 states through marriage, civil unions, and domestic partnerships aren’t recognized by the federal government because of the Defense of Marriage Act.”
The letter states that "the IRS has the ability to provide specific guidance to ease the complexity and uncertainty surrounding these couples. While full equality cannot be achieved without repealing DOMA, this guidance will provide significant relief to hundreds of thousands of taxpayers, and save critical resources by avoiding unnecessary audits and inappropriate enforcement actions.”
McCollum said this guidance should have been provided by the IRS years ago.
Read the full story here.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 1 hour 32 min ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM