Lesbian Activist Dresses as Cow to Keep the 'Moooovement' Alive Against Chick-Fil-A
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 01 2012 1:34 PM ET UPDATED: August 01 2012 4:05 PM ET
As the furor over Chick-Fil-A's millions of dollars of donations to anti-gay hate groups continues to grow, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee has launched today's Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day. According to qnotes, the North Carolina-based LGBT publication, a host of local anti-LGBT leaders including evangelists Billy Graham and son Franklin Graham and Republican Mecklenburg County Commissioner Bill James have said they’ll stand with the company.
In South Carolina, Tar Heel Capital CEO Jim Furman allegedly ordered that his 75 North and South Carolina locations of competing fast food restaurant, Wendy’s, post “We stand with Chick-fil-A” on their marquees. Twitter protesters got Wendy’s corporate folks busy putting out panicked tweets that read, “We are looking into this" and later Wendy’s International spokesperson Denny Lynch told qnotes' Matt Comer that Furman, an independent franchisee and owner of the Carolina stores, had decided to remove the messages from his signs.
“This is one independent franchisee’s personal opinion,” Lynch told qnotes as he read a prepared statement over the phone. “We are proud to serve customers of varied races, backgrounds, cultures, and sexual orientations with different beliefs and values. Bearing that in mind, this franchisee has decided to remove the messages from his restaurants’ signs.”
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Girl Scouts Raise $100,000 in One Day After Dropping Transphobic Donor
- WATCH: Jon Stewart on GOP Reaction to Marriage Equality: 'Voldemort Has Risen'
- He Went There: Antigay Judge Roy Moore Compares Marriage Equality to Holocaust