Dear Abby: Pressure on Gay Man to Date Coworker Is Harassment
BY Trudy Ring
September 04 2012 3:33 PM ET
A closeted gay man being pressured to date a female coworker has a classic sexual harassment case, says syndicated advice columnist Dear Abby.
The man, who says he can’t be out at work, says the colleague has long tried to convince him they “would make a good pair,” and she has gotten the rest of their coworkers involved. “I’m constantly pressured by my supervisor to ‘just go out with her and give her a chance,’” he writes, adding that the situation has made him “dread coming to the office.”
Jeanne Phillips, who writes the Abby column, says the situation is “a classic example of sexual harassment and a hostile work environment” and would be even if he were straight and not wanting to become romantically involved with the colleague for any reason. She advises the writer to document all the incidents, go to his supervisor’s boss if necessary, and consult a lawyer if the situation doesn’t improve.
Phillips has often taken gay-supportive stands in the column, as did her mother, Pauline Phillips, who was Dear Abby for many years.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 7:00 AM
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 6:03 AM
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 6:00 AM
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM