Gay Controversy May Have Benefited Chick-fil-A
BY Trudy Ring
October 26 2012 6:49 PM ET
Consumers who supported Chick-fil-A’s antigay activism — or those who simply responded to the company’s heighted public profile —apparently stepped up for the fast-food chain this summer.
During the third quarter of this year, the number of people who told survey-takers they’d visited Chick-fil-A within the previous month increased 2.2% over the same period in 2011, according to the Quick-Track study by chain restaurant market research firm Sandelman & Associates.
This means “Chick-fil-A may have benefited from remarks by president and chief operating officer Dan Cathy that he supported the ‘biblical definition of the family unit,’” ABC News reports.
Cathy had said in a July interview with the Baptist Press news service that he was “guilty as charged” in opposing same-sex marriage. It had come to light that the company’s charitable foundation had donated millions to antigay groups.
LGBT activists called for a boycott of the chain and organized a Same-Sex Kiss-In Day to protest, and public officials in Chicago and Boston threatened to block the company from opening new restaurants in their cities. Meanwhile, conservatives urged supporters to patronize the chain, with former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee, now a Fox News Channel host, launching a Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day that generated record sales.
The controversy was “something that brought Chick-fil-A to the forefront of people’s minds,” Sandelman & Associates president Jeff Davis told ABC. “There are a lot of people who have an affinity to the brand, and when you drive those things together it drives some action.” Chick-fil-A officials declined comment.
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court 41 min 41 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS There Are Other Ways to Prevent HIV Besides Condoms 43 min 31 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS The Crisis in Prevention for the Gay Community 45 min 15 sec ago
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 1 hour 45 min ago
- Travel Berlin's Best Neighborhoods: A Primer 1 hour 50 min ago
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 2 hours 37 min ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 2 hours 43 min ago