Study: Gayborhoods for Many Budgets
BY Trudy Ring
June 16 2012 6:20 PM ET
While pricey areas like San Francisco’s Castro district and Southern California’s West Hollywood are still prime gayborhoods, there are some more affordable ones that are home to many same-sex couples, according to real estate data website Trulia.
In observance of LGBT Pride Month, the site looked at Census data on same-sex couples by zip code, then at the price of housing in the areas with the largest concentration. For gay male couples, the top zip codes are 94114 in the Castro, 92264 in Palm Springs, Calif., and 02657 in Provincetown, Mass. For lesbian couples, the biggest concentrations are found in that same P-town zip code and two in Northampton, Mass., 01062 and 01060.
While the Castro and P-town are “top-dollar” areas, there are some leading gayborhoods with much lower housing prices, such as the Detroit suburb of Pleasant Ridge and Avondale Estates near Atlanta. There are also some affordable gay enclaves in the San Francisco, Los Angeles, and New York metro areas, the site reports. Read more here.
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Partner of Sydney Siege Hero Remembers His 'Soulmate'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers