Study: Gayborhoods for Many Budgets
BY Trudy Ring
June 16 2012 7:20 PM ET
While pricey areas like San Francisco’s Castro district and Southern California’s West Hollywood are still prime gayborhoods, there are some more affordable ones that are home to many same-sex couples, according to real estate data website Trulia.
In observance of LGBT Pride Month, the site looked at Census data on same-sex couples by zip code, then at the price of housing in the areas with the largest concentration. For gay male couples, the top zip codes are 94114 in the Castro, 92264 in Palm Springs, Calif., and 02657 in Provincetown, Mass. For lesbian couples, the biggest concentrations are found in that same P-town zip code and two in Northampton, Mass., 01062 and 01060.
While the Castro and P-town are “top-dollar” areas, there are some leading gayborhoods with much lower housing prices, such as the Detroit suburb of Pleasant Ridge and Avondale Estates near Atlanta. There are also some affordable gay enclaves in the San Francisco, Los Angeles, and New York metro areas, the site reports. Read more here.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- The Brains Behind Husbands
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 39 min 39 sec ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 42 min 30 sec ago
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 2 hours 42 min ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM