WATCH: Colbert Blasts Okla. Gov's Antigay Military Policy
BY Jase Peeples
November 22 2013 3:08 PM ET
Despite orders from the Department of Defense that U.S. military forces are to begin extending spousal benefits to married gay and lesbian couples, Oklahoma governor Mary Fallin announced this week that the state’s National Guard will stop processing spousal benefits requests for all married couples to avoid extending services to same-sex spouses. The announcement quickly caught the attention of Stephen Colbert, who weighed in on the bigoted policy with his usual satirical brilliance on last night’s episode of The Colbert Report.
"Governor Fallin is setting a great precedent here,” Colbert joked. “Because once a gay person gets something, [they get] their gay all over it. That’s why I think we should shut down the fire department. If I find out that firefighters also rescue gay people, suddenly it’ll seem gay for me to have their calendar.”
Colbert ended the segment on a more serious note, with an apt analogy for the antigay politician. “Governor Fallin, I heard that gay people in Oklahoma enjoy the scent of your state flower, the Oklahoma Rose, just as much as straight people do. So you should order everyone in your state to cut off their noses to spite the gays. ’Cause you’re kind of doing it already.”
Watch the full segment below.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- EXCLUSIVE: Bette Midler Covers TLC's 'Waterfalls'
- 7 Absurd Legal 'Arguments' Against Marriage Equality From a Straight Couple in Kansas
- QUIZ: Are You Afraid of Gay PDA?
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- WATCH: Gays Want Everyone to Join Them in Hell, Says Colo. GOP Candidate