#TBT: He-Man Anxiety and Bodybuilding
BY Christopher Harrity
August 07 2014 4:00 AM ET
Can we laugh about this yet? Apparently not. The percentage of American teens using steroids and human growth homone is climbing a couple of points each year. Maybe there are just too many Avengers movies and mixed martial arts television shows. These ads from the last century reflect a nation that was still suffering in many quarters from the malnutrition of the Great Depression, the American body before obesity was the norm. The question would be whether these ads were appealing to men because they wanted to climb the evolutionary ladder to a better choice in female partners, or for the approval and admiring glances of other men, especially big muscular ones.
So, uh, where are the girls now? List of things to do: 1. Put on 40 pounds of muscle; 2. Go punch that really cute guy who made fun of you in the face; 3. Get nipples. By the way, this transformation happens in two weeks ... at the baths.
Wonderbar is wunderbar! Except for the gallons of whatever that fluid flying from your body is. Attention! Mop up in the weight room!
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- Vatican Official Calls Irish Marriage Vote 'Defeat for Humanity'
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- WATCH: The Moment Ireland Said 'Yes' to Marriage Equality
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun