#TBT: He-Man Anxiety and Bodybuilding
BY Christopher Harrity
August 07 2014 4:00 AM ET
Can we laugh about this yet? Apparently not. The percentage of American teens using steroids and human growth homone is climbing a couple of points each year. Maybe there are just too many Avengers movies and mixed martial arts television shows. These ads from the last century reflect a nation that was still suffering in many quarters from the malnutrition of the Great Depression, the American body before obesity was the norm. The question would be whether these ads were appealing to men because they wanted to climb the evolutionary ladder to a better choice in female partners, or for the approval and admiring glances of other men, especially big muscular ones.
So, uh, where are the girls now? List of things to do: 1. Put on 40 pounds of muscle; 2. Go punch that really cute guy who made fun of you in the face; 3. Get nipples. By the way, this transformation happens in two weeks ... at the baths.
Wonderbar is wunderbar! Except for the gallons of whatever that fluid flying from your body is. Attention! Mop up in the weight room!
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- He Went There: Antigay Judge Roy Moore Compares Marriage Equality to Holocaust
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Girl Scouts Raise $100,000 in One Day After Dropping Transphobic Donor
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers