Gays Giveth and Gays Taketh Away: An Open Letter to Bailey Hanks
BY John Carroll
August 10 2012 3:48 PM ET
After your time surrounded by gay people on Broadway you did not run screaming home, where the hills have eyes. You stayed here, in Sodom and Gomorrah. You auditioned and continued to make friends and work with guess what…more gay people.
We invited you into our home and offered you a place at our table. You stayed for dinner, ate all the food, even stuck around for dessert, and now vomited it all up in our faces. Your website describes you as, “Sweet, kind, caring…” perhaps you should add “unless you’re gay.”
You say you are a “proud Christian.” Bailey, I, too, am a proud Christian. Many LGBT people I know are people of faith. So what’s your point? Is your point to hide your ignorance and bigotry behind Christ? That’s not very “Christ-like.”
And since we are on that topic, let’s not pick and choose what passages from the Bible we want to believe in because it suits our social and political gain.
If we are going to hold onto Leviticus 18-20, then let us also hold on, with a white-knuckle grip, to Leviticus 15:19-30, which states if a woman is on her period, she has to get out of the house for seven days, and if you God forbid (literally) touch her, you are “unclean.”
Bailey, I know we are not close, but I venture to guess that you menstruate. When your Aunt Flo comes to visit, I would assume you are living outside for those seven days. And when you are riding the “crimson canoe,” I would also assume you call out sick from your show, because according to the Bible, all those fellow actors who come into contact with your heathen-self are now all unclean and will have to bathe with water and wash their clothes. Oh, how the wardrobe department is gonna hate you!
Also, lets really try to do our best and pay special attention to 1 Corinthians 14:34-35. Bailey, are you listening? It states here that women should be silent in church. Sorry sugar-britches, that means no talking and absolutely no singing. Bummer, since I know how you love to sing!
Biblically speaking, since you are a woman —and I don’t want you to feel the wrath of God—I pray you don’t open your mouth. You might just shove your foot in it, the same way you did when you were stuffing it with a “#1 w/ a large sweet tea and a fudge brownie.”
Hating on gays while eating a “fudge brownie,” Bailey, is that some sort of perverted sexual insult? Well, I never!
Bailey, you used gay people for your personal gain to make your dreams come true and then sold them down the river with your message condoning a company that is publicly known for discriminating. With your actions, you agreed to treat people like second-class citizens and doing so, disrespected my friends, family, my marriage and me, all this in an Instagram photo of your hate –filled waffle fries.
Stop hiding bigotry and hatred behind religion, let’s call it exactly what it is. If we are going to live by any biblical rule, let it be the golden one.
For more information on Carroll, go to TheJohnCarroll.com.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 1 hour 59 min ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM