WATCH: Violent Arrest Caught on Tape During Gay Pride
BY Lucas Grindley
March 06 2013 2:35 AM ET
A police officer caught on video grabbing a party-goer by the throat in Australia during a gay pride event and then violently throwing him onto the pavement has triggered international outrage.
The YouTube video, recorded during Sydney's 2013 Mardi Gras, is titled "Police Brutality," but The Guardian reports that officials claim 18-year-old Jamie Jackson resisted arrest, used offensive language and assaulted a police officer.
None of that appears in the video, which begins just after witnesses say an officer smashed Jackson's head on the ground and left him bleeding and crying out that he'd done nothing wrong.
Another officer on the tape repeatedly orders whoever is doing the recording to stop, though he refuses.
Event organizers issued a statement calling the footage "quite distressing" and described it as "excessive force." They are calling for "a transparent investigation into this issue and into the numerous complaints received over the course of the festival."
Watch the video below.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out, Cops Offer Reward
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 2 min 53 sec ago
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 22 min 24 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Florida Group Aims to Build Marriage Equality Support 1 hour 18 min ago
- Women WATCH: The L Word's Kate Moennig in Ray Donovan Series Premiere 1 hour 21 min ago
- Crime Man Pleads Not Guilty to West Village Murder 1 hour 30 min ago
- Crime WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out 1 hour 44 min ago
- Politics This Man Wants to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu' 1 hour 59 min ago