Anti-LGBT Violence Runs Unchecked in Some EU Countries
BY Michelle Garcia
September 18 2013 1:45 PM ET
A new report says the European Union is failing to fight social and institutionalized homophobia and transphobia in many of its member countries, including Italy, Greece, and Croatia.
The report, published Wednesday by Amnesty International, shows where governments fail to specifically protect LGBT citizens with laws that prohibit discrimination or prosecute hate crimes committed on the basis of sexual orientation or gender expression. The report also cites a lack of effort in some countries to impede or prosecute antigay or antitrans violence. An estimated 80% of such crimes go unreported, and many of those surveyed say they are reluctant to notify police of such attacks because they fear being outed.
“Hate-motivated violence has a particularly damaging and long-term effect on victims,” Marco Perolini, Amnesty International’s expert on discrimination in Europe and Central Asia, said in a statement. “Yet, the EU as well as many of its members do not recognize crimes based on the perceived sexual orientation or gender identity as hate crimes in their legislation. This is unacceptable because sexual orientation and gender identity are protected grounds of discrimination in international human rights law.”
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Commentary Op-ed: The Policies Keeping Trans People From Military Service 6:00 AM
- Politics A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade 3:00 AM
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 2:19 AM
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 2:10 AM
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM