These Are The Most LGBT-Friendly Hospitals In the Nation
BY Katie Wurtzel
July 11 2013 11:57 AM ET
The Human Rights Campaign's annual Healthcare Equality Index highlights U.S. hospitals committed to providing equal care for LGBT patients and their families. This year's list includes a record-breaking 718 healthcare facilities around the country — more than double the number included on last year's list.
The 2013 HEI also includes a stunning 121 Veterans Health Administration medical centers, included for the first time following the 2011 repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," the military policy barring open service by gay, lesbian, and bisexual Americans, and last year's directive from the Obama Administration directing all hospitals that recieve federal funds to recognize and grant equal access to LGBT patients and their families.
"The country's healthcare facilities are leading figures in our nation's movement toward full equality and inclusion for LGBT Americans," said HRC President Chad Griffin in a statement announcing the HEI's release Thursday. "The Department of Veterans Affairs' participation in the HEI is another example of President Obama's unwavering commitment to those who put their lives on the line for the country they love, regardless of who they love."
HRC used four criteria to track the care and treatment that LGBT patients received in a given hospital: patient nondiscrimination policies, equal visitation directives, employment nondiscrimination, and training in LGBT patient-centered care. Medical facilities who met these "core four" were deemed 2013 Leaders in LGBT healthcare equality.
With only four states — Idaho, New Hampshire, North Dakota, and South Dakota — not represented on the 2013 HEI, healthcare equality has made leaps and bounds from last year's total of 153 hospitals with perfect scores.
The following pages list all the medical centers that made the top-tier "leader" cut. Is your local hospital there? Click your state's name below to jump to the local list and find out.
Alabama | Alaska | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Washington, D.C. | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachussetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska | Nevada | New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM