AIDS activist, philanthropist dies in Colorado
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 18 2003 11:00 PM ET
Thomas Gehling, the cofounder of a Colorado Springs, Colo., gay bar and a supporter of many AIDS- and gay-related charities, died last week of complications from pneumonia in Colorado Springs, the Denver Post reports. He was 59. Gehling and his partner of 35 years, Joe Brady, were the co-owners of Hide 'N Seek, Colorado Springs's oldest gay bar. The pair in the 1980s also bought two houses near the bar and turned them into Lambda House, the first AIDS hospice in the city. Gehling, a Navy veteran, and Brady were early AIDS activists and frequently invited health workers to conduct safer-sex workshops at Hide 'N Seek. The pair also organized free meal services at the bar every Christmas, New Year's Day, Easter, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving for low-income city residents and donated 10 cents from every drink purchased to several charitable groups.
"Tom and Joe's attitude was that they were there to help, to give something back to the gay community," said John Potterat, who worked at the Colorado Springs public health department's STD division.
Gehling is survived by Brady; his mother, Genevieve Gehling; two sisters; and two brothers. A memorial service was held Saturday at Hide 'N Seek.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Marriage Equality Good for New Mexico Kids, Experts Say
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 50 min 13 sec ago
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 1 hour 50 min ago
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 1 hour 51 min ago
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM