Alabama may cut $1 million from AIDS drug program
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 26 2003 12:00 AM ET
The Alabama Department of Public Health is considering cutting $1 million in state funding for its AIDS Drug Assistance Program to help eliminate an estimated $66.8 million budget deficit, the Birmingham News reports. The health department is considering reducing ADAP spending from $2.5 million to $1.5 million as part of its cost-cutting efforts. If the funding cut is made, about 100 people would be dropped from the ADAP, which provides free or low-cost drugs to low-income HIV-positive people in the state.
Health officials say any ADAP enrollees dropped from the program would likely be eligible to receive drug donations from the companies that make the anti-HIV medications, and health workers may even assist the people in arranging for those donations. But AIDS activists say there can be a significant lag time between applying for a pharmaceutical drug access program and actually receiving the medications. "We'll eventually get them on drugs, but you can't go without the drugs for three days," Kathie Hiers, executive director of AIDS Alabama, told the News. "This is definitely a life-and-death issue situation. We're not just blowing smoke here."
Many state ADAPs are facing financial problems, and 15 have already implemented waiting lists, tightened access requirements, or reduced the number of medications provided.
- Op-Ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Commentary Op-Ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth 2 hours 27 min ago
- Current Issue Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly 6:01 AM
- Transgender How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates 5:53 AM
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM