New Mexico AIDS Services faces funding cuts
June 30 2004 12:00 AM ET
A proposed funding cut means New Mexico AIDS Services will have to lay off staff and cancel services for hundreds of HIV-positive patients. "We're devastated," said NMAS executive director Kathleen Kelley. Under a contract negotiated last week, NMAS funding would be cut from $1.3 million to $800,000. Kelley said NMAS would have to eliminate health care, transportation, and counseling services. It would be left offering only case management, in which staffers help clients find housing or medical care.
Bruce Williams, medical director for the University of New Mexico's Truman Street Services Health Clinic, which partners with NMAS, said barriers to receiving services and treatment could lead to the spread of HIV. As caseloads have increased and drug costs gone up, Williams said, state and federal funding for the last three years have stayed flat. Williams anticipates a 59% cut in his clinic's services budget, which means it will lose a psychiatrist and psychologist. Williams said he is troubled by the loss of mental health services because "up to 70% of AIDS patients have mental health or substance abuse issues, based on our caseload."
The state's HIV/AIDS program has a $2.8 million shortfall for the next fiscal year beginning July 1, and the state is shifting money from support services to health insurance and drugs. Other contractors around the state are facing similar cuts, from one third to one half of their state funding for HIV/AIDS services. About 1,000 clients are enrolled in such programs statewide. (AP)
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark 1 hour 30 min ago
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang 1 hour 44 min ago
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? 1 hour 57 min ago
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested 2 hours 37 min ago
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' 4:25 PM