HIV Infection Rate Drops in Zimbabwe
BY Mike Grippi
November 02 2007 12:00 AM ET
registered a 2.5% decline in its HIV infection rate, and the
number of AIDS deaths also is dropping, the government said
Thursday, crediting its ''tireless efforts'' to fight
it said were verified by the United Nations, the Ministry
of Health said the HIV rate dropped from 18.1% in people
aged 15 to 49 years last year to 15.6% this year.
AIDS deaths also
have decreased, down to 2,214 a week from around 2,500 a
week, according to the new statistics.
A researcher at
London's Imperial College who helped work on the figures
said the trends presented were as accurate as possible given
the available data, according to college spokeswoman
Laura Gallagher. The UNAIDS agency was not immediately
available for comment. (AP)
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- WATCH: These Gay Prospective Dads Sing 'Dear Future Baby' And It's Too Cute
- Michigan Woman Sues Planet Fitness Over Trans-Inclusive Locker Room