Four Get AIDS Virus From Organ Donor
November 14 2007 1:00 AM ET
An organ donor in
Chicago has inadvertently infected four transplant
patients with the AIDS virus in what a donor group says is
the first such transmission in the United States in 13
occurred in January at three Chicago hospitals. The
patients infected with HIV and the virus for hepatitis C did
not learn of their status until the last two weeks,
according to medical officials.
chief of the transplantation program at the University of
Chicago Hospitals, said his staff was told of the problem on
November 1 and brought in the two patients who had
transplants there for testing the next morning.
''It was very
surprising and devastating for them, I'll be honest, just
as it would be for any of us,'' Millis said.
Tests on the
donor for HIV, hepatitis, and other conditions came back
negative, most likely because the donor had acquired the
infections in the last three weeks before death.
Personal details about the donor were not released by
medical official officials, who cited privacy laws.
Based on the
negative test results, doctors at Northwestern Memorial
Hospital, Rush University Medical Center, and the University
of Chicago Medical Center went ahead with the
procedures were followed in testing the donor, said Alison
Smith, vice president for operations at Gift of Hope.
Joel Newman, a
spokesman for the United Network for Organ Sharing, said
the last known example of HIV being transmitted from a donor
to a recipient was in 1994.
Millis said he
thinks the process can be improved but may never be
supply is extraordinarily safe, but this has demonstrated
that it's not 100% safe and it is never going to be 100%
safe, at least with technology we have today,'' Millis
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time
- Commentary Op-ed: The Policies Keeping Trans People From Military Service 6:00 AM
- Politics A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade 3:00 AM
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 2:19 AM
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 2:10 AM
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM