University of Arizona ends Boy Scout charity ban
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 16 2002 12:00 AM ET
The University of Arizona, Tucson's largest employer, will no longer use its annual charity drive to take a stand against antigay discrimination, according to the Tucson Citizen.
One year after the university cut the Boy Scouts of America from its United Way workplace campaign because of the group's ban on gay members, the BSA is back in the fold. "This year we are returning to our previous practice of providing on the enrollment form a line where you may write in the names of any community agencies you choose," university president Peter Likins wrote in a letter posted on the university's Web site Monday.
A UA professor who had pushed for the Scouts to be removed from the United Way campaign said that university leaders changed their minds about the policy without consulting him. "I would say that we are disappointed and perturbed that on an issue in which it was quite clear that the interests of our community were at stake, we were not consulted," said Fenton Johnson, an associate professor of English and a member of UA's committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Studies.
Lou Salute, executive director of the Boy Scouts' local Catalina Council, said UA leaders did the right thing by returning to their previous policy. "I think it just gives back the freedom of choice to the employees," he said.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 1 hour 7 min ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 2 hours 8 min ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM