University of Arizona ends Boy Scout charity ban
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 16 2002 12:00 AM ET
The University of Arizona, Tucson's largest employer, will no longer use its annual charity drive to take a stand against antigay discrimination, according to the Tucson Citizen.
One year after the university cut the Boy Scouts of America from its United Way workplace campaign because of the group's ban on gay members, the BSA is back in the fold. "This year we are returning to our previous practice of providing on the enrollment form a line where you may write in the names of any community agencies you choose," university president Peter Likins wrote in a letter posted on the university's Web site Monday.
A UA professor who had pushed for the Scouts to be removed from the United Way campaign said that university leaders changed their minds about the policy without consulting him. "I would say that we are disappointed and perturbed that on an issue in which it was quite clear that the interests of our community were at stake, we were not consulted," said Fenton Johnson, an associate professor of English and a member of UA's committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Studies.
Lou Salute, executive director of the Boy Scouts' local Catalina Council, said UA leaders did the right thing by returning to their previous policy. "I think it just gives back the freedom of choice to the employees," he said.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 1 hour 18 min ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 1 hour 22 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 1 hour 43 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 1 hour 47 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 5:39 PM
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 5:22 PM