D.C. church OK's gay unions
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 11 2002 12:00 AM ET
National City Christian Church, a prominent mainline congregation in Washington, D.C., has decided to allow same-sex commitment ceremonies in its sanctuary, reports The Washington Post.
The unanimous decision on Saturday by its board of elders places the 159-year-old congregation, where U.S. presidents James A. Garfield and Lyndon B. Johnson once worshiped, among a small number of churches that permit such services.
"It was a really special moment," said the Reverend Alvin O. Jackson, senior pastor of the 600-member church, describing how 20 elders at Saturday's meeting agreed to allow him to perform such ceremonies. "There was no heated discussion." The move by National City, which belongs to the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) denomination, was welcomed by gay rights activists.
"We think this is a tremendously bold move that recognizes the reality of gay families," said Wayne Besen, spokesman for the Human Rights Campaign, a D.C.-based gay and lesbian advocacy group. "It's something that's rare, but it's increasing."
"I'm thankful to God that NCC has made that decision," said the Reverend Robert Holum, pastor of Luther Place Memorial Church in Washington. "I think it will be good for our community, which has many same-sex couples.... People need the support of the community to live in relationships of fidelity."
But other Christian groups disapproved. "It's just a sign of the decay and the demise of this church," said the Reverend Louis P. Sheldon, chairman of the California-based Traditional Values Coalition and a Presbyterian minister.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- India's Sodomy Ban Incites 'Day of Rage' Among Activists
- Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: The Other Obligation That Comes With HIV
- Politics India's Sodomy Ban Incites 'Day of Rage' Among Activists 56 min 3 sec ago
- Activism Queers for Economic Justice Announces Closure 58 min 19 sec ago
- Entertainment News Johnny Weir Scrubs His Bio of Russian Government Work 2 hours 5 min ago
- Transgender HHS to Reevaluate Ban on Gender-Confirming Surgeries 2 hours 11 min ago
- Television WATCH: Ian McKellen Strolls Down Sesame Street 2 hours 40 min ago
- Women WATCH: Mary Lambert's Version of 'Teenage Dirtbag' is a Lesbian Love Song! 1:59 PM
- Marriage Equality Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill 1:51 PM