Suit filed against LAPD's Kalish
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 09 2003 12:00 AM ET
David Kalish, an openly gay deputy police chief with the Los Angeles Police Department, sexually abused a teenager repeatedly over a five-year period in the 1970s, according to allegations in a lawsuit filed against Kalish, the city of Los Angeles, and the LAPD in Los Angeles County superior court on Monday, the Los Angeles Times reports. Sometimes the abuse took place in Kalish's patrol car while he was on duty, the suit alleges. The plaintiff, who is now 41 years old, said the abuse started when he was 14 and a member of the Law Enforcement Scouting program.
The 49-year-old Kalish was relieved of active duty on March 29 following a five-month criminal investigation into the allegations. Since the first complaint, five other people have come forward claiming that they too were victimized by Kalish. "We believe there are other victims out there, and we hope that they too will have the courage and strength to come forward," said Todd A. Walburg, the plaintiff's attorney.
In his suit Walburg's client accuses Kalish of "sexually fondling him, molesting him, and forcing, coercing, and inducing him to engage in oral copulation and other similar acts." He said the alleged abuse took place while Kalish "was in his police uniform, carrying a gun, in his police car, and on duty."
The suit also explains that the plaintiff's memory regarding the alleged abuse was sparked by an unspecified event on April 8, 2002, which is around the same time Kalish's name surfaced as a top candidate to succeed police chief Bernard Parks.
Neither the police department nor Kalish's attorney had comment for the Times regarding the suit.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 1 hour 5 min ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 2 hours 28 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 2 hours 44 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM