Suit filed against LAPD's Kalish
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 08 2003 11:00 PM ET
David Kalish, an openly gay deputy police chief with the Los Angeles Police Department, sexually abused a teenager repeatedly over a five-year period in the 1970s, according to allegations in a lawsuit filed against Kalish, the city of Los Angeles, and the LAPD in Los Angeles County superior court on Monday, the Los Angeles Times reports. Sometimes the abuse took place in Kalish's patrol car while he was on duty, the suit alleges. The plaintiff, who is now 41 years old, said the abuse started when he was 14 and a member of the Law Enforcement Scouting program.
The 49-year-old Kalish was relieved of active duty on March 29 following a five-month criminal investigation into the allegations. Since the first complaint, five other people have come forward claiming that they too were victimized by Kalish. "We believe there are other victims out there, and we hope that they too will have the courage and strength to come forward," said Todd A. Walburg, the plaintiff's attorney.
In his suit Walburg's client accuses Kalish of "sexually fondling him, molesting him, and forcing, coercing, and inducing him to engage in oral copulation and other similar acts." He said the alleged abuse took place while Kalish "was in his police uniform, carrying a gun, in his police car, and on duty."
The suit also explains that the plaintiff's memory regarding the alleged abuse was sparked by an unspecified event on April 8, 2002, which is around the same time Kalish's name surfaced as a top candidate to succeed police chief Bernard Parks.
Neither the police department nor Kalish's attorney had comment for the Times regarding the suit.
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC December 09 2013 3:49 PM