Pro-gay Baptist church expelled from association
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 29 2003 11:00 PM ET
A Southern Baptist church in Concord, N.C., has been expelled from a religious association after the pastor baptized two openly gay men and welcomed them into the congregation. Leaders of the Cabarrus Baptist Association--a regional group of 81 churches affiliated with the Nashville-based Southern Baptist Convention--agreed in a closed meeting Monday night to sever ties with McGill Baptist Church. Of 268 delegates at the meeting, 250 voted to withdraw McGill Baptist's membership. Eleven voted in favor of McGill. Seven abstained.
The Reverend Randy Wadford, the association's missions director, read a statement after the vote in which he said, "The homosexual lifestyle is contrary to God's will and plan for mankind.... To allow individuals into the membership of a local church without evidence or testimony of true repentance is to condone the old lifestyle."
The Reverend Steve Ayers, pastor at McGill, said being kicked out of the association doesn't have many practical implications. The 800-member church has contributed to the association's food and clothing projects but will find a new way to help the poor, he said. "The kingdom of Christ is about love, about God's grace and mercy," Ayers said. "When a church becomes so judgmental that it can't accept people into its fellowship, it is a sad, sad day."
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM