Men get probation in antigay egg-throwing
August 27 2003 12:00 AM ET
Two men who threw eggs at a booth manned by a San Luis Obispo, Calif., university gay club were placed on probation, fined, and ordered to perform 100 hours each of community service. William Bugenig, 22, and Nicolas Taliaferro, 20, pleaded no contest on August 19 to misdemeanor civil rights and vandalism violations for throwing eggs at a booth staffed by Gays, Lesbians, and Bisexuals United at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, on February 13.
Bugenig and Taliaferro egged the booth about 45 minutes after the conclusion of a march on campus celebrating Same-Sex Handholding Day. Prosecutors didn't charge the men with a hate crime. On Monday superior court judge Christopher Money placed each defendant on 18 months' probation and ordered each to pay a $300 fine and perform community service for the AIDS Support Network.
Bugenig had earlier expressed his remorse. "I didn't mean any harm to anybody," said Bugenig, who graduated from Cal Poly in July. "Anyone that was there, I totally apologize for it. I know I was in the wrong."
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 1 hour 22 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 1 hour 26 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 2 hours 41 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM