Shanley attorney prepares for trial
October 30 2003 1:00 AM ET
An attorney for the Reverend Paul Shanley, a central figure in the Boston archdiocese's clergy sex abuse scandal, asked for additional documents from prosecutors on Wednesday to prepare for Shanley's rape trial. During a brief appearance in Middlesex County superior court, attorney Frank Mondano told clerk magistrate Lucille M. Pasquale that prosecutors had turned over the wrong records and had failed to turn over others that he needs to prepare the defense. Shanley has pleaded innocent to 10 counts of rape and is free on bail. No trial date has been set.
Shanley, a retired priest, was once known for his street ministry to gay and troubled youth. After he was arrested, it was revealed that he had helped run a resort catering to gay men in Palm Springs, Calif., for several years in the early 1990s.
Shanley is charged with raping boys in the Boston suburb of Newton in the 1980s. Internal church records disclosed in lawsuits show that officials did not remove Shanley from parish work even after they received reports that he had publicly endorsed sex between men and boys and had attended a meeting of the North American Man-Boy Love Association. While about 95% of 552 alleged abuse victims who sued the archdiocese have accepted an $85 million settlement offer from the church, a few of Shanley's accusers are refusing to sign onto the deal. Instead, they have decided to continue action in the courts, where they hope to prove that Shanley abused them while church leaders ignored their allegations and tried to cover up the scandal.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 31 min 9 sec ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 37 min 58 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 40 min 59 sec ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 2 hours 3 min ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 2 hours 16 min ago
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 2 hours 29 min ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 2 hours 31 min ago