BY Christopher Mangum
November 23 2009 1:45 PM ET
The Middletown, Conn., board of education adopted a policy last week to address transgender athletes’ participation in school sports.
Based on Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference rules, the policy states that a student athlete will compete in the sex on his or her birth certificate unless he or she has undergone sex reassignment.
A student athlete who has undergone sex reassignment may compete if the reassignment was completed before puberty. If reassignment was completed after puberty, then students can compete only if anatomical changes are complete, governmental agencies such as the Department of Motor Vehicles recognize the change, and hormonel therapy has been administered to minimize gender-related sports advantages, according to the policy.
A student athlete who has undergone a sex reassignment after puberty will also have to wait two years after the surgery before participating.
Board of education chairman Theodore Raczka called the adoption of this policy and others “housekeeping” in an interview with The Middletown Press.
Board member Renee Johnson-Thornton, who cast the only vote against the policy, said she thought requiring students to wait two years after surgery to participate in interscholastic sports would exclude students who had undergone sex reassignment from participating altogether.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 46 min ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM