McMillen Named NYC Gay Pride Grand Marshal
BY Julie Bolcer
April 13 2010 11:35 AM ET
Constance McMillen, the Mississippi high school senior who fought her school’s decision to cancel the prom rather than allow her to attend with her girlfriend, has been named a grand marshal of this year’s New York City gay pride parade. The 18-year-old will join grand marshals Lt. Dan Choi and Judy Shepard on June 27.
Joe. My. God. broke the news from NYC Pride Tuesday morning.
“I never dreamed so many people would support my fight to take my girlfriend to the prom, much less that I’d end up being asked to be a Grand Marshal at NYC Pride,” said McMillen in a press release. “I’m really honored and touched to be asked to be part of this celebration.”
With the help of the ACLU, McMillen is suing the Itawamba Agricultural High School district for its decision not to hold the prom rather than allow her to attend with her girlfriend and dressed in a tuxedo. A federal judge ruled that the school violated her First Amendment rights but refused to order the school in Fulton, Miss., to reschedule the prom because of assurances than an alternative event would be open to all students. Earlier this month, McMillen went to that event and found only a small group of students, because the rest had organized a private prom in another town without her knowledge.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM