McMillen Named NYC Gay Pride Grand Marshal
BY Julie Bolcer
April 13 2010 10:35 AM ET
Constance McMillen, the Mississippi high school senior who fought her school’s decision to cancel the prom rather than allow her to attend with her girlfriend, has been named a grand marshal of this year’s New York City gay pride parade. The 18-year-old will join grand marshals Lt. Dan Choi and Judy Shepard on June 27.
Joe. My. God. broke the news from NYC Pride Tuesday morning.
“I never dreamed so many people would support my fight to take my girlfriend to the prom, much less that I’d end up being asked to be a Grand Marshal at NYC Pride,” said McMillen in a press release. “I’m really honored and touched to be asked to be part of this celebration.”
With the help of the ACLU, McMillen is suing the Itawamba Agricultural High School district for its decision not to hold the prom rather than allow her to attend with her girlfriend and dressed in a tuxedo. A federal judge ruled that the school violated her First Amendment rights but refused to order the school in Fulton, Miss., to reschedule the prom because of assurances than an alternative event would be open to all students. Earlier this month, McMillen went to that event and found only a small group of students, because the rest had organized a private prom in another town without her knowledge.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 36 min 23 sec ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 59 min 15 sec ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 1 hour 6 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 1 hour 14 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 1 hour 17 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 1 hour 25 min ago
- Internet Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay 2 hours 12 min ago