Black Lesbian to Lead Montgomery College
BY Julie Bolcer
May 19 2010 8:40 AM ET
DeRionne P. Pollard, who is African-American and openly lesbian, will take the helm of Montgomery College in Maryland this August.
According to the Maryland Gazette, Dr. Pollard was selected after a five-month nationwide search that drew 50 applicants.
“Pollard, with 15 years of teaching and leading community colleges on her resume, has been the president of Las Positas College in Livermore, Calif., since 2008. During that time, the community college has seen nearly a 15 percent increase in enrollment. The Las Positas College enrolls roughly 8,800 students, while Montgomery College — the largest community college in Maryland — enrolls roughly 60,000 students.”
Pollard and her partner of over 20 years, Robyn A. Jones, have a 3-year-old son, the Gazette reported.
Earlier this year, Raynard Kington, who is openly gay and African-American, was appointed president of Grinnell College in Iowa.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Does AIDS in the Endzone Fumble? 6 min 35 sec ago
- Theater Five Decades Remembered At the Flash 58 min 13 sec ago
- Film Why is Behind the Candelabra Like Valley of the Dolls? 1 hour 37 min ago
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 6:00 AM
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 4:34 AM
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 4:00 AM